Sunday, October 4, 2009

MID-OHIO CON REPORT 2009

Sweet Christmas! It's Matt with Power Man.

It was another great year at Mid-Ohio Con. Though it didn't top last year's show, where I met Joe Kubert, there were lots of great guests and it was easily one of the best Mid-Ohios ever. I've usually attended solo, so also having four of my peeps to hang out with made it extra fun. This year's variety of guests had me plundering the archives to find stuff to sign.

Fred Hembeck is a cartoonist I've enjoyed since childhood. I'm always tickled by his zest for the minutiae of comics. Apparently he doesn't like to travel, so it was great to meet him at this rare appearance.


Mike Grell is something of an underrated legend. He's best known of his work on Green Arrow and for his creations Warlord and Jon Sable, Freelance. He's also a helluva nice guy to meet. He's currently working on the recently revived Warlord series for DC.


The con had the one-two punch of having both creators of Swamp Thing at the show. Writer Len Wein and artist Bernie Wrightson (pictured above). Wrightson's most recent work is a graphic interpretation of Frankenstein. Wein and Wrightson's Swamp Thing issues were reprinted this year as part of the DC Comics Classic Library.

The above comic really takes me back. It's one of the first comics I ever owned. I didn't start collecting comics until I was 10, but I got this issue at about age 6 or 7. Marvel sometimes packaged their comics in 2 or 3 packs in plastic bags that were sold in grocery stores and I was given one for Christmas. The man below is Keith Pollard, the artist who drew the cover. He signed my comic during one of those rare times he didn't have a long line of fans.

It was also great to chat with comicdom's biggest booster, Beau Smith, pick up books for my kids from Dave Aikins and meet artist Arvell Jones. It was also good to see artist Gary Kwapisz at a show. He's an industry veteran who's still passionate about comics. He's currently working on a historical Civil War epic with Chuck Dixon. I also got to meet James Kyson Lee, who plays Ando on "Heroes". Don't worry, Ando, I haven't given up on your show like some fair weather fans! Thanks to all the guests who made the trip to Ohio. I hope to see my pals and another terrific lineup of guests next year.

The gang (L-R) Lucas, Bill, Ted (showing off), Matt, Todd

No con coverage is complete without some costumed fans.

1 comment:

Lucas Hardwick said...

Cool "report" as our komrad Todd Fox would put it. Can't wait til next year!