Wednesday, May 30, 2012

WONDERFEST 2012

This past weekend I went to my third ever Wonderfest Hobby Expo in Louisville.  It's hard to explain this show to someone who hasn't been.  I'd say it's geared towards hobbyists who like to make models primarily of horror and sci-fi characters.  Even if you don't make models but are just a fan of those genres, this is the place to be.  There was a very large contingent of the 501st Legion, doing Star Wars cosplay.  In the above pic, my pal Lucas is the stormtrooper (known in the 501st as a "TK").

At one point I helped Lucas "troop up" and he allowed me to try on his helmet.  It's very hard to see in that thing.  No wonder Han and Chewie never got shot on the Death Star.

This attendee was showing her off her permanent pride in her husband in uniform.  OK, on to the models, some of which are from  official kits, some of which are from garage kits (unofficial kits made by fans) and some built from scratch.
The Proteus from the 1966 film Fantastic Voyage.  On the left side through the window you can see a sexy Raquel Welch!

A diorama by Philip Hamrick depicting a scene from "The Anti-Matter Man" episode of "Lost in Space."  Thanks to modern technology, you can watch the episode here.

A scratch-built Magilla Gorilla!

Al Lewis never looked better as Grandpa than in this bust of the popular Munsters character.

The still photo of this Capt. Picard model doesn't do justice to the viewscreen, which featured a rotating video display.  I'm guessing some type of phone is embedded within the model. 

I working 1:1 model of K-9 from "Doctor Who."  I spent many late nights as a teen watching these reruns on PBS (yes, I was that cool).  

My pal Lucas pulled double duty, also appearing in his Ghostbuster guise.  Here he meets up with a Ghostbuster from another state, along with her charming Slimer puppet.  After Star Wars, the Ghostbusters franchise was the best represented at Wonderfest.
A close-up of Lucas' ghost trap.  I ain't afraid of no ghost!

In addition to the models, exhibits and interesting dealers, I did go to one program.  Adam K. Johnson is an historian of the film "2001: A Space Odyssey".  He has collaborated with Frederick Ordway, a consultant on the movie, to present an archive of facts, photos and blueprints on the futuristic world created by Stanley Kubrick and his production team.  Johnson led a slideshow presentation of some of this information.  Johnson has compiled the best material into a book, which can be purchased here.  In anticipation of coming to this, I watched the film last week.  It's very impressive and thought-provoking, but I still don't know what the hell it's about. 

Another fun day at Wonderfest!  I'll leave you with the important advice above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't make it again this year! Oh well, sounds like you had a good time. Enjoyed the update.

Jerry

Cesar Fernandes (LinkC) said...

Thanks for share...

You can see the original sculpt here:

http://www.cesarlinkc.blogspot.com.br/2011/11/painted-magilla.html