Saturday, October 6, 2012

CINCINNATI COMIC EXPO 2012

Ok, so I'm a little behind in my con reporting, but nevertheless...The 3rd Cincinnati Comic Expo took place September 22nd and 23rd at the Duke Energy Convention Center in downtown Cincinnati.  This year the show expanded into this massive space, quite a leap from the humble beginnings of two years ago.  The roster of guests, variety of dealers and planned activities for the kids made for a fun weekend experience. 

The "big get" in terms of guests was a reunion of Swamp Thing artists Rick Veitch, Steve Bissette, John Totleben and Tom Yeates.  All four are friends, had all gone the Kubert School and were Swamp Thing artists in the 1980s.  It's unusual to have any of them at a comic convention, and having them all together is something of a coup.  First Yeates, then Bissette, were regular pencillers, followed by Veitch, with Totleben providing inks for most of them and doing a majority of the late '80s covers.  
I was never a Swamp Thing reader, and new Veitch moreso for Roarin' Ricks Rare Bit Fiends, a '90s comic series where he illustrated his own dreams.  The above image is a window cling, hence the reason it's backwards.  Rick took my suggestion of signing it backwards for me!

Here I am with John Totleben (left) and Tom Yeates (right).  I never knew Totleben's name before he was announced for the show, but he was a really nice guy and easy to chat with.  I knew Yeates better as a Tarzan artist and the new illustrator of the Prince Valiant comic strip.
I didn't get a chance to meet Steve Bissette, but super pal Ted Haycraft has a knack for meeting the famous and near-famous.

Another surprise booking for the show was Mike Royer, who's really been out of the comic book scene since the late 1970s.  Royer is best known for his work inking Jack Kirby's Fourth World, Demon and Kamandi for DC.  He was a staff artist for Disney from 1979 - 93 before going strictly freelance. 

 I did get to meet legendary Marvel scribe Steve Englehart, but didn't get a picture.  Fortunately, Ted once again made the scene.

This year there was a special Kids Con portion of the show on Sunday.  I decided to take my boys and thankfully my wife came along, too (to her first comic show!).  The boys dressed up in the Halloween costumes and got a lot of attention.  A highlight for them was sitting in this Batmobile replica.

The boys were so cute, many folks wanted to take pictures of them, and other cosplayers wanted to take pictures with them.  Here they are with female versions of Thor and Loki.

 Noah picked out three prints.  He liked Captain America, he compromised on Wolverine, but refused Hulk in favor of Rogue.

As part of the Kids Con, artists came in for an hour apiece and did sketches.  Mike Royer, who is amazing with kids, did a Mickey for Noah and Piglet for Jonah.


A great sci-fi mashup of Ghostbusters and Star Wars.  On the right is a young lady who was probably feeling chilly.  On the left is my pal Lucas Hardwick, who won the costume contest in the Best Prop category! 

And here's the winner of the costume contest!  Commander Shepard of Mass Effect (whatever that is).

There was a large Lego display and I was knocked out by how this looks just like the real thing.

My friends Alton and Marisha had a booth set up.  Alton is a Golden Age Superman enthusiast, and here he's letting me hold the very rare Action Comics #10 from 1939.  This was the third time Superman ever appeared on a comic book cover!

Another terrific year at the Cincinnati Comic Expo.  Rogue and I will see you next year!

2 comments:

Gail said...

I was looking up pictures of Lady Thor and Lady Loki to see if anyone had posted pics of us from the Cincinnati Comic Expo, and I found this! I'm so glad your boys enjoyed the show and that you put our picture up. Thanks for being awesome! :)

-Lady Loki

Carraig Duibh said...

Thanks for this bloog post