Sunday, March 31, 2013

GEM CITY COMIC CON

My friend Jerry and I braved the iffy weather for a jaunt up to Gem City Comic Con in Dayton, Ohio.  I've always passed over this show for some reason, but this year boasted an appealing guest list. 

Howard Chaykin is known for his men of action: Cody Starbuck, Dominic Fortune and American Flagg!  He's also known for pushing the boundaries of depicting sex and violence in comics.  He's a great guest for a show, both for his body of work and as a raconteur.  Though he described himself as an "asshole" who doesn't "care what other people think," he was perfectly nice to me.  The "asshole" thing, he said, "comes and goes."

I've been a longtime reader of Groo, Sergio Aragones' buffoonish barbarian character.  Stan Sakai has been the letterer for Groo's adventures for over 30 years.  He's also a cartoonist, known for his samurai rabbit character Usagi Yojimbo.  Usagi has stood the test of time, enduring in his own title since 1987.  A great talent and a nice guy to boot. 
A fun signature from Stan!


I never thought I would Charlton Comics legend Joe Staton.  Staton has been drawing comics professionally as long as I've been alive.  I've never known him to do conventions, but that's my mistake as it looks like he has nine lined up this year alone.  I was introduced to his work in the revival of "E-Man" by First Comics in the 1980s.  I've always been drawn to the cartooniness of his Michael Mauser, P.I. character.  Joe is the current artist on the "Dick Tracy" comic strip.

Speaking of comic strips, I also got to meet Dan Davis, one of the artists of "Garfield."  Like Staton, Davis has drawn a lot of Scooby-Doo.  I wish the con organizers had thought of doing a Scooby panel!

Overall, it was a fun show.  I found some things I was looking for, and stuff I didn't even know I was looking for!
Wasn't looking for this...but pretty interesting stuff by Al Hubbard!

Believe it or not, I was looking for this!




3 comments:

usagigoya said...

"I've been a longtime reader of Groo, Sergio Aragones' buffoonish barbarian character. Stan Sakai has been the letterer for Groo's adventures for over 40 years."

The first appearance of Groo was published in Destroyer Duck #1 (Eclipse Comics, 1982), so would make 2012 the 30th anniversary for the character.

Matt Tauber said...

Thanks. I have corrected my typo.

Anonymous said...

I think I had that magazine! and 3-2-1 Contact with Gary Coleman... and that little computer magazine that got eaten by 3-2-1 Contact. Man, I am old. -Margaret (yeah, that one) Glad to see you're doing well.